Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor the spouse, common-law or conjugal partner to become a Permanent Resident in Canada. The Sponsor will have to sign an agreement with the Canadian Government t showing responsibility to financially support the sponsored spouse for three years. The procedure of the spouse visa for Canadian permanent residency has a higher variable when compared to other visa applications as they will not be restricted to fulfill stringent education requirements, language proficiencies or work experience.
On receiving the spousal sponsorship, the spouse can live, work and settle permanently in Canada.
The spouse sponsorship visa can be classified as:
Outland Spousal - Sponsorship
for sponsored partner residing outside Canada, the application for PR should be submitted to Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia IRCC.
Inland Spousal - Sponsorship
for the sponsored partner living together in Canada under temporary Canadian status, either as worker, student or even visitor. Inland application should be submitted to Case Processing Centre in Mississauga, Ontario IRCC.
Eligibility Requirement for spouse sponsorship
The general requirements are
- Canada PR visa holder and Canadian citizen can sponsor the spouse
- The sponsor and sponsored partner should be atleast 18 years of age
- The sponsor should submit the proof of authenticity of the relationship to fulfill the criteria set by Citizenship and Immigration, Canada
- The sponsored partner should have a clean police record
- The partner should not have been invited to Canada as a sponsored spouse within a span of last 5 years
- The sponsor should have completed 5 years of sponsorship, if sponsored while migrating to Canada, to sponsor the spouse
- The sponsor is financially responsible for the spouse for 3 years after the sponsored person becomes PR
If you wish to bring your relatives to Canada, then it is possible through various sponsorship programs. People who want to bring their parents and their grandparents to live with them in Canada can do it by using Parent Sponsorship.
Many permanent Canadian residents want to relocate their parents or grandparents to Canada to live with them. The candidates have to fill out an online interest to sponsor form to mark their interest. The Canadian federal government has provided an opportunity through this program to the country’s residents to sponsor the relocation of parents or grandparents. This program is conducted only once a year. The 2021 intake will accept 30,000 applications which is a record high number for this program.
Eligibility for parent sponsorship
There are certain eligibility criteria that a candidate has to fulfil to apply for parent sponsorship:
- The sponsor should be of at least 18 years of age
- The sponsor should be a child or grandchild of the sponsored person
- The sponsor should be a Canadian citizen or have a permanent residency of Canada or registered in Canada as an Indian under the Candian Indian Act.
- The sponsor must be able to support their parents/grandparents financially.
There are certain requirements for the sponsored person also that they need to follow:
- The sponsored parents or grandparents have to submit a police certificate to prove that they have no criminal records.
- The sponsored parents or grandparents have to undergo medical tests.
- The sponsored parents or grandparents must be admissible to Canada as a visitor.
- The sponsored parents or grandparents have to buy Canadian medical insurance coverage for at least one year.
One of the main objectives of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (the Act) since 2015 is to see that Canadian families are united with their loved ones irrespective of their nationality. The Child Under-18 Sponsorship program allows a Canadian citizen or one that has a permanent residence to sponsor the immigration of a dependent under 18-year-old child (whether legitimate or adopted child) to live with them.
To qualify for the sponsorship, the sponsoring parent and child should meet the eligibility requirement as determined by IRCC.
Eligibility requirement for the parents to sponsor the dependent child is:
- The parent must be at least 18 years of age
- The parent must be Canadian citizen or PR
- The parent sponsor should be able to financially support the child
- The sponsor should have completed 5 years of sponsorship, if sponsored while migrating to Canada, to sponsor the dependent child
- The parent cannot be a sponsor if the parent is in jail or has been convicted of certain criminal offenses, especially offenses against relatives
- The parent cannot be a sponsor if the parent is receiving social assistance for a reason other than a disability
- If the parent is sponsoring the stepchild, then sponsor should also be sponsoring the spouse as well
- The child should not be a spouse or a common-law partner